TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 mobility & my birthday

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Singer_Artist Posted - 06/17/2006 : 18:31:47
I walked today for 15 minutes..Drove in the car while my roommate told me if it was clear turning left or right, because I cannot turn my neck or look up...The range of motion is so limited...I am more relaxed when I am driving because I know how to take the bumps and starts and stops...I want to just force my neck to move, but i know that will make it worse..Even if i go slightly past the point I should, it tightens down even more..Very frustrating..Then I start to think I wonder if i should try Nucca chiropractic again because it is so hard to see an end to all this...How am i going to get mobility back in my neck, let alone strength...I don't want to be in physical therapy for a long time once i am more flexible, but i am wondering how by doing the TMS work will my neck get strong and flexible again...Tomorrow is my birthday and i only have a friend or two stopping by..I cannot even go out to dinner or see a movie..And I could have been leaving for Alaska...I know, I sound like i am complaining and i feel a little guilty for that..but I am just so frustrated and scared about HOW LONG i am going to go thru all this..I know Dr. S. says don't focus on HOW LONG, but it is so hard not to...I cannot do so many basic things and just three weeks ago i was working out in the gym 5 times a week...Now I am lucky if i can walk 15 minutes...All i did 3 weeks ago was bend over to pick up an ice pack that fell off my knee! So crazy, this whole thing...I am trying to think psychological and I cannot wait to start therapy with Don Dubin...Any words of encouragement are welcome...This is not how i thought i would be spending my 49th bday..
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Singer_Artist Posted - 06/19/2006 : 14:02:50
Wow...glad i am not the only one who felt that way...I so wish i was still living in NJ, i would go see Sarno himself! There is a Dr. Sopher in NH and he does phone consults...Also Don Dubin is a TMS therapist and i am thinking of having some phone therapy with him...HOping it will be ok to skip the step of getting the 'actual' dx from the doc...
alix Posted - 06/19/2006 : 11:56:18
quote:
I went to Dr.Schechter in LA once but cannot even recal what the DX was to be honest.

This is my experience too. He said TMS but his demeanor and body language was more like "I have no clue". It wasn't very helpful in retrospect.
Singer_Artist Posted - 06/19/2006 : 07:57:01
Dear Armchairlinguist,
wow..what a helpful post! thank you so much...I know you are right and it sure seems like you really understand! Stay in touch...always great to hear from you! I am hoping soon this bout will pass and i will heal this TMS for good!
God bless,
karen
armchairlinguist Posted - 06/19/2006 : 00:32:27
Hi Karen,

Sorry to hear you are going through so much. Just wanted to say that your pattern is very common in Sarno's descriptions -- there is a lot of life stress, some tiny twinge occurs to set things off, and very soon you have full-blown TMS. Try to counteract the belief that one small twinge could have caused all this by Sarno's words: our bodies are strong, flexible, adaptable, and heal quickly. It just doesn't make sense that such a small twinge would not just go away after a bit. It is when the physical becomes a source of worry, and an effective distraction from our real pain, that TMS takes hold. Unfortunately the pain will not go away as long as it is succeeding in distracting you. So don't let it! It sounds like you are doing great to get out some and also to work with your feelings of loss and loneliness. As horrible as they are, they are the way out of your current pain. I had the experience that at times, I felt so bad that I understood why my brain had started up my physical pain, because it did not seem as bad as the emotional pain. But even if you feel like that you will come through, so keep on trucking.

Best of wishes for the year to come.
Singer_Artist Posted - 06/18/2006 : 17:58:39
Hey TT and NDB,
Thanx so much for your replies! TT, I never did get a DX from Dr. Eisendorf, I just went to that one group...I went to Dr.Schechter in LA once but cannot even recal what the DX was to be honest...I think it was TMS but he didn't help me too much...I did see Don Dubin twice and that did help...I started the written work and got better...Guess i never dug deep enough because here i am again! And although this recent bout is only 3 weeks in duration, my neck was never 100 percent since that bad chiro adjustment 1 1/2yrs ago and the irritation with my friends Bull Mastiff on Christmas day..I had limited ROM looking up and some chronic tightness in the upper right occipital area...However, i could drive, work out, etc..and i was having knee issues from several injuries...You are right about the triggers but it is more my bday and feeling STUCK LIVING IN VEGAS that i think set this one off...Also struggling financially as an artist here and just wanted to LEAVE THIS DESERT but not being able to afford it, etc...The cruise i only found out about a few days ago..The art show may play a part..But i remember the day this happened 3 weeks ago i was stressing about finances and hating living here...Then i bent over to pick up an ice pack i had on my knee, felt a little twinge in my left hand and b4 you know it,here i am..totally debilitated...
NBD, thank you for the bday greeting and your inspiring message..I know you are right...I need to focus on my emotions..Yesterday i put the pics of my parents in my bedroom and cried my eyes out..They died 16 yrs ago and i miss them like it was yesterday..I have little family support in general and never married, no kids..so loneliness is a huge part of what i am dealing with..THank God for ,my roomie who is like the brother i always wanted and some other wonderful friends....but...most of them live far away, back East and even in Europe..
Take care,
Karen
Singer_Artist Posted - 06/18/2006 : 12:21:33
Wow Susie,,,thanx for letting me know..Do you mean his lecture on videotapes or some other tapes? If there is another tape i would like to get it...ON his lecture tape there is a woman who had neck TMS and it was very helpful...Have a wonderful Sunday...I am stuck home on my birthday but trying to make the best of it!
Susie Posted - 06/18/2006 : 09:26:04
hey Karen, I just remembered that there is a woman on Sarno's lecture tape with your exact neck symptoms. It really doesn't matter where your pain is but you are not far along enough in the theory to believe that. That's why Sarno has these patients give their personal accounts. This woman began to have neck trouble and in a brief amount of time could not move her neck at all and confined herself to bed. She is very credible. If you are able to get the tapes, they may prove very helpful to you.
ndb Posted - 06/18/2006 : 07:23:46
hi karen,

i am so glad you got out and walked around! and many good wishes for your birthday. hope you have a wonderful day, in spite of the physical stuff :)

don't think that you have to force your neck to move. once you are able to apply the tms techniques, you will be able to start moving on your own, with less pain. i know it seems like magic now, but in the meantime, just think relaxing thoughts, and don't worry yourself into fear.

karen, try to read a bit of sarno's books again. especially accounts of his patients, and the desperate situations they were in. also read what he says about how to treat yourself. try to spend a bit of time during each day thinking about your emotions...are you feeling anger about your physical situation, focus on the anger you feel, not the pain. focus on the feeling of anxiety because you can't paint. and so on. please start exploring these feelings. i know it is exhausting, but this is a way out of the pain, and as the physical pain gets better, you will be able to spend less time thinking about painful emotions.

regards,
ndb

tennis tom Posted - 06/17/2006 : 20:38:05
Hi S_A,

Great that you got out. Your latest post clarifies your situation a bit. So, you have been functioning up until recently. I thought you had been non-functioning since way back to Dr. Bruce Eisendorf's. But this bout with TMS just started three weeks ago.

Your statments discribing your neck are 180 degrees away from what Sarno says. Your neck, and most everyone else's, IS strong. It is not flexible right now because of TMS. A slight reduction of oxygen to your neck muscles. This is caused by your unconscious distracting you from dealing with your emotional issues.

You MUST re-read Sarno's books because you have forgotten your TMS fundamentals. Don't do chiro unless you have money to burn. I did quite a bit of chiro and it didn't do a thing. Mine did a lot of huffing and puffing and glad handing, signifying nothing. Chiro is the exact opposite of what Sarno reccommends. It is focusing on the physical--to cure TMS you must focus on the emotional.

I am curious what happened with Dr. Eisendorf and, if you got a TMS dx from him, why it didn't stick?

Regards,
tt

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000