TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 right buttock pain

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jade Posted - 08/25/2004 : 08:04:07
I know I have tms in several areas but I have one pain that I guess I am still not totally convinced that is tms. It starts at about my waiste, approximately 4 -5 inches to the right of my spine and extends down to the curve of my buttock and ends there. It does not go down into my leg or foot. I have had the pain off and on with varying degrees of intensity for roughly 50 years (I am 63 now). I had a horrible fall off of a horse when I was about 13 and landed on my back. I was knocked unconscious. I don't know if that has anything to do with the pain that I am experiencing now or not.

But over the years the pain has become gradually worse until today it is almost unbearable. I have had a lot of success in getting rid of some of the tms pain in my foot but I can't get this to budge. In fact it is only getting worse. I now only have a few brief minutes every few weeks when the pain aleviates some whereas a couple of years ago it wasn't nearly this bad.

An MRI shows some structural damage blah, blah, blah and was done before I knew about tms. When I do a certain pose in yoga, the pain is so excruciating that I can't stand it anymore. I do know that I am conditioned to expect the pain now in that particular posture. I just don't know if this is tms or is it really structural. There are definitely tms components to it - it does ease up some (but not as much as it used to), and just when I think I have it licked it gets worse. (And I know that is very telling). I have done everything I know to do tms wise. In the back of my mind is always that fall, osteoporosis, etc.

What do you think I should do? Ease up some on the yoga posture that is so very, very painful and give it a rest for a while or still force myself to do it? Honestly, the pain was so pain this morning that I became nauseated. Is it my sciatic nerve? It does feel somewhat nervy and achy in the muscles. But I thought if it was tms attacking the sciatic nerve, the pain would extend down my leg. And if it isn't sciatica, what part of my body is being affected by tms that would make the pain feel so sharp and burning?

Thanks so much for any comments/advice.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Texasrunner Posted - 09/16/2004 : 10:32:12
I'm a big beleiver in the "pain in the butt" theory. One has to wonder- where did the saying come from? Think about it. Whenever someone is truly tested, confronted with a big negative challenge, it's a "pain in the butt." It's almost a mini-metaphor for TMS. Same goes with "pain in the neck." So I guess my point is, as long as we are repressing "pain in the butt" emotions, we'll feel a pain in the butt. The TMSA approach would be to try thinking about the things that make you say "what a pain in the butt."
Fox Posted - 08/26/2004 : 13:54:30
Jade - my TMS hits the left buttocks and all the way down the left leg to the toes. It varies as to which areas within that range are hurting at any one time. Also, I get muscle spasms in the left buttocks.
Suz Posted - 08/25/2004 : 19:09:50
Jade,
All of my pain for 12 years has been in the buttock area - and in the sciatica often down my leg - it was absolute agony. Now finally with the TMS practice, I have experienced the first relief in years - with no doctors, no chiropractors and no meds
jade Posted - 08/25/2004 : 18:12:21
Thanks Dave for your response. I really needed to hear that.
Some days I know it is tms and others I really do wonder because the pain is so severe. If someone repeatedly kept stabbing me in my right back buttock, it couldn't hurt any worse. Also, I have never seen any other postings about tms being in that area. They all seem to be in the lower back (if it's back pain that is involved). The pain is at its worst when I bend from my waist. I can arch my back, as in a back bend, and it doesn't really hurt that much. I guess when I think about it, if it was structural it would hurt when I bent it back as much as when I bend forward from my waist. Do you think that is true?
Again, thanks for your reply.
JayP Posted - 08/25/2004 : 14:58:21
Dave,
You said in your last post "Muscles inflicted with TMS pain do not like to be stretched." I have found that to be true, but why?

JayP
Dave Posted - 08/25/2004 : 14:48:21
quote:
...I have one pain that I guess I am still not totally convinced that is tms...

Why?
quote:
I had a horrible fall off of a horse when I was about 13 and landed on my back. I was knocked unconscious. I don't know if that has anything to do with the pain that I am experiencing now or not.
Of course not. Our bodies heal completely, especially after 50 years! If you had done some major structural damage to yourself in that accident, the pain would not be "off and on with varying degrees of intensity." That fact alone is a strong indicator of TMS.

Read your post again; you pretty much answered your own questions. One reason this pain is hard to ignore is because you still feel it is possible that you have a structural problem. You have to change this attitude.

I don't know what yoga posture you are talking about, but you should definitely ease up. If you do any activity that makes the pain worse it will just reinforce the physical conditioning. There are some yoga postures that are downright scary. Muscles inflicted with TMS pain do not like to be stretched.

Don't be preoccupied with the details of the symptoms; this just perpetuates the physical way of thinking. TMS takes a zillion different forms. There is no reason to be thinking about your "sciatic nerve" or any other physical part of your body.

I suggest you re-read Dr. Sarno and follow his treatment advice, starting with #1: repudiate any structural explanation for the pain.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000