TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 A Pain in the Neck

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
res Posted - 08/20/2004 : 16:38:11
I was wondering if any of you have had neck pain that feels very stiff and it is painful when you move your neck. As I stated in another post, I am experiencing a new onset of TMS (I "cured" sciatica about 3 years ago). I am trying to not worry, but it is hard to ignore the pain when it hurts to move my head. I get some into my arm as well (reminds me of the sciatica). I know not to worry about it and I am starting my first year of teaching this year and I am nervous and stressed, but I wish it would STOP. Anyone, I just thought that maybe a couple of people that have been there before (with new TMS locations and neck locations) could give me their story to help me gain a little more confidence. I had gotten so used to how good it feels to be painfree that I had forgotten how rotten it feels to have it again.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
res Posted - 08/21/2004 : 06:44:26
Dave-

Actually, the issue of my feeling unsure about my ability as a teacher has crossed my mind. Thanks alot for the input.

Renee
Dave Posted - 08/20/2004 : 19:23:18
Neck pain was a typical TMS site for me. I had traced it back to an injury I suffered in the gym when I was a teenager, doing lateral pulldown exercises. Thereafter I had a very tender "trigger point" in my trapezius muscle and would often awake with bad neck pain, to the point where I couldn't turn my head all the way to one side. I specifically remember not being able to rinse my hair in the shower because tilting my head back caused significant neck pain.

You say "it is hard to ignore" and that's the point. Until you learn how to ignore it and treat it exactly the same as the sciatica, it will stick around, because it is succeeding at grabbing your attention.

You say you are "nervous and stressed" but those are surface emotions. Dig deeper. Maybe deep down you don't feel that you have what it takes to be a successful teacher. Maybe you're concerned that the workload will be more than you're accustomed to, and on some level you resent that. Maybe your lack of confidence in treating the neck pain as TMS is due to a lack of confidence in your own ability to be a good teacher.

The point is, it's not enough to say "I'm stressed." The child within you is in a blind rage due to the external pressures of your life. Try to examine those feelings ... try to feel them.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000