TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Newbie Here

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bsdman Posted - 02/15/2006 : 09:01:28
I want to say 'hello' to everyone here, and have been reading many of the posts, looking for signs of encouragement and support. My symtopms are so new and do not necessarily fall right into the TMS area, but MAYBE they do. After reading Dr. Sarno's 2nd book, a trip to the doctor and several chiropractor visits (combined with deep massage therapy), I have concluded that TMS is MAYBE what I have.

One day I started feeling weak in my legs, and it freaked me out. Then the next day the "sensation of weakness" went to my left leg and left arm. There were no coordination issues or clumsiness. Then I noticed mild tension/sharp pain up in my shoulders, and occasionaly my buttocks. Usually I have mild sensations of weakness in my limbs, which changes from legs to arms daily. Occasional pins and needles in the limbs. Not much pain, though.

I have had major life adjustments all within a 4 month period. Building my first house, moving in with in-laws, brand new job, leaving the city for the first time, and our first child on the way (due in Aug. '06). I'm not in my familiar city environment anymore, and I don't know if I care for the area I'll be living in. My mother-in-law is fine, but I can't be around her too long (hard to avoid her). Not to mention I'm a musician who's not playing music anymore - the band went our sepearte ways. Rage? Oh, yeah. You bet. I want aspects of my old life back, but it ain't gonna happen.

All this happened within a four month period, then my sensation of weakness started, but no real back pain.

But the thing lays in that I had very little back pain (not even pain, but soreness)... probably only 10% of the pain that most you have experienced. It's really not even something I would tell a doctor b/c it's so mild.

Any thoughts?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jim1999 Posted - 02/16/2006 : 22:51:26
I have to agree with Yowire. I don't think that chiropractors or nurse practitioners have enough training when there is the potential for serious disease. I briefly talked to an MD about this tonight. She said that muscle weakness can be caused by other muscle and nerve degenerative diseases besides MS. She recommended seeing a neurologist if possible, or at least seeing some other MD.

I don't want to get you all worried. The way that your symptoms move around seem psychogenic, but it's still important to rule out serious diseases.

Jim
n/a Posted - 02/16/2006 : 20:29:14
quote:
Originally posted by bsdman

feel disconnected with no friends or familiarity in my new environment. I feel trapped. And my arms and legs feel weak. Freaking out here...

I can relate to those feelings. My wife and I have lived in four different cities over the 12 years we have been married. I hate the city, however, and feel very disconnected. I feel lonely with no permenant friends of family around. Relationships are shallow to non-existent and interactions are no that emotionally meaningful.

When I become overwhelmed with my physical symptoms I feel like a failure and all my past failures (as perceived by me) coming rushing over me like a flood. I also get intense feelings of self-hatred and don't want to interact with anyone. I just sob like a baby and wish I were back in the arms of my mother who comforted me when I was a lad.

I recently started taking a course at the local university to force myself out of the house and possibly meet new people. The problem is I am much older than the average students (I am 41). I feel alienated as a result. Everyone is very busy and into the university scene much more than I am. I have not taken a course in 12 years when I dropped out of grad scool. I was too overwhelmed to finish. I wrote my first exam last week and bombed it. I feel like I am being judged as a person, that my self worth is being examined and marked, that I am in some sort of competition. Why can't I just enjoy the course and enjoy learning instead of all this crap? I feel sometimes I am back in elementary school gym class where I am competing. I hated it then and I hate it now.

I just go done reading 'Of Two Minds: The Revolutionary Science of Dual-Brain Psychology' by Fredric Schiffer,MD. I think everyone on this board would benefit from this book. Here is a brief description of the book as found on the cover:

http://www.schiffermd.com/bookdescription.html

He convincingly demonstrates that we literally have two minds, each one with a different degree of maturity, and each one associated with the left or the right brain. The two minds are at different stages of development or maturity and one can dominiate the other with disastorous results. He shows how we can correct this problem in a rather unique way. I am not saying it helped me per se but it did give me some very unique inisghts. I told him about Sarno and hoped that they get together.

I actually wrote him at: www.schiffermd.com and he responded:)

yowire Posted - 02/16/2006 : 19:07:41
quote:
is this recommendation something that all people with TMS like symptoms should do, or is there something in my descriptions of my symptoms that alarms you specifically?

I'm not an expert on neurological symptoms, but it seems to me that a nurse practitioner and a chiropractor would not be the people you would want to see for symptoms like you describe.

Yowire
drziggles Posted - 02/16/2006 : 18:23:37
It may very well be that this is TMS, but I still feel that being seen by a medical doctor and/or neurologist would not be a bad idea. I don't think everyone with TMS symptoms needs to, and if your symptoms have resolved you may not either (though since I am a doctor I have to say that everyone should before coming to the conclusion that TMS is what they have).

2scoops Posted - 02/16/2006 : 14:04:57
There was someone on this board who was diagnosed with MS and got rid of their symptoms. To me it does not matter what we are diagnosed with, Sarno's work applies to everyone. We all could benefit from learning about ourselves.
bsdman Posted - 02/16/2006 : 13:40:41
yowire, drziggles-

is this recommendation something that all people with TMS like symptoms should do, or is there something in my descriptions of my symptoms that alarms you specifically?

I've looked over a number of sites that lists nearly all symptoms of MS (Webmd, Mayo Clinic etc...), and I have to comment that MS symptoms seem a bit distant from what I am experiencing. Plus I've had two diagnostic nuerological tests from medical professionals that say it's "stress".

Last night was the best I've had in a while... I was symtpom free. I feel that could have been in large part of airing out my disdain for the area I live in and realization that I want my old life back (to a certain extent). I had my mind off the symptoms, and BAMM... they went away.
yowire Posted - 02/16/2006 : 08:47:30
From Bsdman:
quote:
"I had two basic neurological tests done by a nurse practitioner and a chiropractor, not to mention a physical exam accompanied with two rounds of blood tests. Both agreed it's "stress related.
Hi Bsdman,

A nurse and a chiropractor???
While your story does sound like TMS, I think DR Z. is right. You need to see a doctor and possibly be referred to a neurologist to rule out serious disease before you dive into TMS.

Yowire
bsdman Posted - 02/16/2006 : 07:07:09
drziggles - thanks for the opinion. I had two basic neurological tests done by a nurse practitioner and a chiropractor, not to mention a physical exam accompanied with two rounds of blood tests. Both agreed it's "stress related". I have had no numbness, and merely sensations of weakness. To date I have had no slurred speach, coordination problems, and can do everything I need to do and then some. Basically I perform anf function normally... only that I feel weak in one leg or one arm... then it changes to the other arm or leg the next day. Other symptoms include minor and random muscle twitching, and minor pins and needles. No real pain.
After reading Dr. Sarno's book, I really stringly that TMS is the most logical explanation a I can related to many of the issues he discusses.
drziggles Posted - 02/15/2006 : 19:36:02
I hate to be the party-pooper, but no one is saying the obvious:
YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR! Not every physical symptom is TMS, and new problems like weakness and numbness should be looked into. Various medical problems, such as MS, can present in this way, and a good physical examination and history are important to determine if any further tests are needed. Run of the mill back pain in a healthy person is one thing, but these other symptoms are a red flag. If all is well, than by all means trust the Good Dr. Sarno, but first, get checked out.
bsdman Posted - 02/15/2006 : 13:13:11
Dave - you really brought it home with those summeries. Most important two things I will remember:

-Don't get caught up in symptoms

-TMS appears when you are forced to do something you'd really rather not do

Thanks. You must be a pro at this thing.
2scoops Posted - 02/15/2006 : 12:15:40
I totally understand where you are right now. I was engaged before, but i was the opposite, I wanted to live in a nice home, etc. but I was in school andworking in a warehouse making no money. I was tired of living next to hoodlums, playing their rap music that made my house shake while I would try and study. Then I would go over my girlfriends who had a nice home, so I felt like crap. After we dated though, I reallly got tired of a routine with her, and realized that I was not ready for marriage, but i got engaged any way, so I played the role of a soon to be married person, but I could not keep up the act and three months later ended that relationship. Years later, I am now in sales, I hate cold calling but I have to do it, I feel like I am an irritation to people, dropping in on them while they are trying to do their job. I hate to upset people. Plus I am on sales probation, and I amfacing getting fired this month. My pain has increased, I have been at this for a while now, and it is tough.
Dave Posted - 02/15/2006 : 11:32:30
Don't get caught up in symptoms. Everybody is different. Some don't get back pain but other symptoms like heartburn, or in your case, weakness.

The "TMS for Dummies" book, if there was one, might sum up TMS like this:

"TMS symptoms appear when you are forced to do something you'd really rather not do."

It's a broad definition but sometimes accurate enough. In your case your life has been turned upside down. You said it yourself: you want your old life back. The child inside you is in a blind rage about all these changes you have been forced to endure. But on the outside you have no choice but to grin and bear it.

If this is not a clear case of TMS, I don't know what is...
bsdman Posted - 02/15/2006 : 11:31:43
Geeta - thanks. I can't talk about the "good old life" much. Actually I think where the Sarno "repression" comes in is, I'm sad to say", is my wife. If I mention "how good things used to be" she assumes that she is the root of my problems, b/c she was not always a part of the old life, and gets very upset. This, of course, is not true. I married her for a reason, and I'm a better man because of her.

She is very sensative... she assumes the worst, and I can't bring it up or really discuss it. I've tried, with bad results. I just don't talk about the "good old times", but I want them back to some degree.

I hate the suburbs (no offense to ANYONE)... I'm a city kid, plain and simple. I feel like I have no identity in my new town and am transforming into a commuting suburbanite with 2.5 kids and a white picket fence etc... All my life I've fought from becoming this. And yet here I am doing it. I feel disconnected with no friends or familiarity in my new environment. I feel trapped. And my arms and legs feel weak. Freaking out here...

Whoah - this feels good!
geeta Posted - 02/15/2006 : 11:05:16
'I want aspects of my old life back'

yeh that will do it all right! that's what i think about a lot, about how good my life used to be with no responabilities and no stress..............you probably talk a lot about old times and the things you did in the past. yeh that will make you tense and sore. I'am going through the same thing at the moment with a lot of changes in my life.......the best advice i can give is just be yourself and don't change too much

Nathan

n davies

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000