TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Kids with TMS?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MidwestJim Posted - 12/19/2005 : 11:58:21
Hello - What is the thinking concerning TMS and kids? Is there an age range that Dr. Sarno has established for patients with TMS? My 9 year old son has a lot of stomach aches and headaches (he is a lot like me, and I'm a *lot* like the stereotypical TMS person - in fact I had a lot of stomach aches as a child, and now suffer from depression, headaches, and lower back pain). We've taken my son to his pediatrician, and, of course, there are no obvious physical problems.

I've had a life time to build up subconcious rage, etc. so can completely accept my diagnosis. I'm just trying to figure out if and how TMS could play a part in someone so young, and how to combat it.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jim
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Baseball65 Posted - 12/20/2005 : 10:46:27
My 12 year old son has been well 'versed' in TMS since he was about that age (9 or so)...He understands it enough to confide in me ,before say, the first game of the season "Dad...My arm is killing me all of a sudden but I think it's TMS"

He had a horrible neck spasm one day(right after 9/11)..He had also dyed his hair fire engine red and been teased all day at school.We had a long talk and he cried at the end of it,confiding in me how very terrified he was,and how angry/frustrated he felt.....the pain left immediately.

So...He knows the difference between 'sore' and 'mystery pain'. it has actually placed him in an advantageous position,as most parents/kids/Dr.s have a whole lengthy documented mythology about how much a young ballplayer should throw,which pitches,etc...
Most parents/coaches think I'm satan incarnate for allowing my son to throw a curveball....I notice they become really 'concerned' right around the time my son has struck their son out swinging at it.Not only does my son throw it....so do all the other 10-14 year old pitchers I've worked with....never ever an injury.

Funny...even in Baseball,Leo Mazzone who is considered the 'swami guru' of the mound insists that NO rest is necessary between starts,that one should throw a Baseball every day of their life,and that a child can throw a curveball as soon as he understands the concept(can actually master it)....and the Pitchers he's coached have all been the most injury free,everyday starter/reliever types.This is the exact OPPOSITE of what most "protect-your-arm" coaches profess.

TMS can affect anyone at any age...as soon as we start to learn how to wallpaper over our true feelings,the sooner we are indoctrinated into the Western Cult of Symptoms...I had my first Gnarly attack when I was 6 ...neck froze/spasmed...wore one of those collars for a while...Oh yeah..my Mom was going on a European tour,leaving me alone with a babysitter around 6 months after my Dad died.

you get the picture.

-pig gy

-
JohnD Posted - 12/19/2005 : 12:13:09
I can trace my own TMS back to when I was 9 or 10 years old.

Kids learn what is modeled for them. I don't think it could hurt to model and/or teach your son how to be healthier.

Dr Wayne Dyer addresses some of these issues in the book called "What Do You Really Want for Your Children"

here is the link for that book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0380730472/qid=1135019491/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-6273589-3288153?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000