TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 chronic tms questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
esher Posted - 11/16/2005 : 12:08:52
Hello everyone,

I picked up a copy of Dr. Sarno's Mind over Back Pain two weeks ago and read it, and it was like a light bulb going on in my head. As with so many of you here, I struggled with various methods of treating it for many years, including chiropractors, acupuncture, yoga, physical therapy, massage, etc. At the same time, my level of activity decreased (I played volleyball in college and on the beach after college) and my paranoia about going on trips, etc. increased. I've had problems since 1998, but it's become serious since about 2001. I am, in almost every respect, a classic case of TMS. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, fairly driven, and I have two small children.

Almost immediately after reading the book I had some interesting changes. Whenever I get a flare-up now or spasm, instead of triggering a massively crippling reaction, I sort of mentally say "down boy, you won't distract me" and it backs off. There still is pain and stiffness, but it's not incapacitating. I am also able to overcome my fear of spasm more and more (actually bending over to pick things up instead of using my feet, for example; I got astonishingly good at picking things up with my feet over the last couple of years).

Still, it's not an easy road, and I'm curious to know what other peoples' experiences have been. For example, one thing that has always been a problem for me is sitting, in almost any chair. I'm so conditioned to expect discomfort when sitting that discomfort becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It does seem to help to mentally say "you're not the boss of me" when the pain comes, or mentally breathe oxygen into the TMS areas, but it's still there. If anyone has successfully eradicated or reduced their pain, what was the progression for you? Was it a long process, or a short one, etc.? What did you notice along the way?

Also, I'm curious if anyone knows or has experienced an effect of TMS on actual core strength. For example, when I broke my leg five years ago, it was very weak for a while after the cast came off until I started walking on it regularly and doing strengthening exercises. I was wondering if there could be a similar correlation with TMS. Because of my back situation, I have really not exercised my back muscles through their full range of motion with any kind of load for a long time now. Is it possible that they have atrophied somewhat? Could that weakness be making it even more difficult for me to sit for any length of time? I don't expect physical therapy to fix the underlying cause of TMS, but is it wise to work out and strengthen those areas just to reverse the atrophication of the core muscles? Have any of you had any experience along those lines?

Finally, in Dr. Sarno's book he claims that a large percentage of people have become pain-free. A smaller percentage are in reduced pain. From my non-scientific sampling of this forum, it seems as though more people here are in the second category than the first. Is that right, or are many of you pain-free now?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Scottydog Posted - 11/19/2005 : 08:37:46

Thanks for the links Ralphyde - I'd never watched them. It reminded me that Dr Sarno keeps it vey simple and straightforward - think I need to reread MBP again.

Anne

Scottydog
ralphyde Posted - 11/17/2005 : 20:25:22
Another thing you can do to learn more as well as give you inspiration is to watch the 20/20 segment on TMS (Dr. Sarno healed host John Stossel quickly after 20 years of chronic back pain) at:
http://www.goodnewsbroadcast.com/sarno2020.ram
and the Rosie O'Donnell segment at:
http://www.goodnewsbroadcast.com/sarnorosie.ram
The visual quality is poor but the programs themselves are very good.

Ralph
ralphyde Posted - 11/17/2005 : 20:14:22
I agree that you should read Dr. Sarno's, Healing Back Pain - The Mind-Body Connection. Starting on page 77, he starts talking about Treatment Strategies, with subheadings of: Think Psychological, Talk to Your Brain (which you are doing), Resume Physical Activity, Discontinue all Physical Treatment, and Review the Daily Reminders. For example, an exerpt from the section on Discontinue all Physical Treatment says:

"The principle is that one must renounce any structural explanation either for the pain or its cure, or the symptoms will continue. Manipulation, heat, massage, exercise, and acupuncture all presuppose a physical disorder that can be treated by some physical means. Unless that whole concept is repudiated, the pain and other symptoms continue."

Ralph

n/a Posted - 11/17/2005 : 13:26:04
Mind Over Back Pain is Sarno's first book. He has changed many of his ideas in his later work and you should read Healing Back Pain which is much better......
jilly_girl Posted - 11/17/2005 : 10:27:36
hi esher. i also have problems sitting. i had burning pain down my leg after a hysterectomy 2 years ago. i was put on Neurontin, which helped. the pain simply took a hike and went straight to my rectum!! i cant sit, its so bad i am unable to work (i am a secretary). over the years i've had the following: TMJ (jaw pain), severe headaches, chest pain, dizziness, panic and agorophobia. i fit the personality to a tee, anxious, nervous, history of stress related pain. my problem is the pain moving into different areas, i'm never sure if its "stress" or something more serious! which of course adds to the pain. i feel i have seen a bit of improvement, like noticing the pain wasnt as bad when sitting in a nice restraunt with a friend having dinner. or when distracted by a good movie. i feel i have this problem due to the fact that i desperately need to be working now to get out of a very bad marriage. so my body conveniently "keeps me from working". Its like i'm more comfortable in my misery than it would be in making a huge change in my life. Blessings!

Jill
Jim1999 Posted - 11/16/2005 : 22:40:12
Esher,

Welcome to the group! I'm glad to hear that you're making progress.

Sitting was a huge problem for me, too. I used to think of "bad" chairs as torture devices from the Middle Ages. I have overcome this problem, and I now sit on any chair I want for however long I want. Once in a while, I will seek out the most uncomfortable chair in the room just to prove to myself that I can sit on it.

The process of recovery took 5-6 weeks for me. Dr. Sarno seems to consider this a typical recovery time, although some patients are better almost instantly, while others take several months. Don't feel like you have to keep up with the typical schedule; each patient needs to progress at his/her own rate.

As far as the ratio of totally recovered patients to partially recovered patients, Sarno is talking about patients who see him in his office. Nobody knows the success rate for those who use a self-help approach.

I would be hesitant to use this board as a way to judge the success rate. People tend to come here when they are in pain and leave when they're feeling better. The success rate may be higher than what you find here, because you're not seeing the people who succeeded and left.

The question about muscle atrophy is a good one. I think that muscles do weaken somewhat during TMS because the pain makes people less active. Patients who follow Dr. Sarno's treatment often increase their physical activity gradually. This helps to strengthen the muscles while avoiding overexertion. Gradually increasing activity also helps psychologically by building up confidence in the treatment.

Hope this helps,
Jim
altherunner Posted - 11/16/2005 : 21:00:00
Esher - I was pain free for 2 years, but still get occasional flareups, and odd symptoms, like muscle weakness. As it is a psychological condition, it could come back with the right(wrong)stress. You could try reading his more recent books, Healing Back Pain, or The Mindbody Prescription. At the end of Dr. Sarno's videotape, he says "remember, a little tms pain is ok". Meaning, as we all generate emotions and stress, we most likely will all get flareups, etc. For me, they have been minor annoyances compared to what I used to get, and have not prevented me from doing any activity. I think you are on the right track. Good Luck!
I just noticed I have a star - woo hoo! Does that mean I'm not crazy
anymore?

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000