TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 fear

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
art Posted - 11/12/2005 : 17:05:23
Ah fear, public enemy number one.

Despite my success with the TMS model, I still have a lot of fear. I still worry about injurying myself, and I still react to little aches, pains, and twinges.

I'm able to talk myself out of my fears as they crop up by and large, but I hate having to go through the process..You know the drill: I have nothing to worry about. It's just TMS. It's just my repressed rage at my mother/father/brother/ex-wife/girlfriend/dog/dead cat from my boyhood...whatever..ad infinitum...ad nauseum..

But it takes a toll on me, the initial fear reaction does..I would dearly love to bypass it entirely.

Anyone have any hints or suggestions? All comments very much appreciated...

A.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
marytabby Posted - 11/13/2005 : 16:51:59
Art,
I struggle with this as well, so I completely understand what you are trying to achieve. When I get a twinge or threat of neck pain, buttock pain, etc. I do the self talk like you do. But sometimes I get to that catastrophizing thinking: "what if this is another attack", etc. Only thing I can do is read the books again, as a reminder of the process and how this thing rears its ugly head. Also, I am doing some meditation now which I think is calming me down a bit, as it teaches us to stay in the present. So far, two weeks into it, I think it's a small help. Stay with it! Keep up the good work.
n/a Posted - 11/13/2005 : 07:39:54
Don't try to deny your fear as you cannot fool your brain. Fully acknowledge it because pretending that it is not there is not reealy a useful strategy. One this is done then take concrete steps - even if they are baby ones- to challenge that fear. Fear is a natural emotion that has been placed in you as a protection or warning agianst percieved or even unpercieved danger.....
wrldtrv Posted - 11/12/2005 : 22:28:05
I can sure relate to this one! Sounds like you might have a little of the hypochondriac in you as I do too ("...react to little aches, pains, and twinges"). As for what to do about fear, well, I've tried various things with limited success. One, is what's called radical acceptance; in other words, tell yourself, yes, I might well injure myself further if I...and then do it anyway. Do it over and over again and the fear will lessen or disappear, especially as you see that no great harm was actually done.

I suspect my "limited" success with this method and others is due to my not making it habitual. These things need to be practiced over and over until they are second nature because when you are in the midst of fear it is tough indeed to do anything different. One falls back on the familiar (ineffective) ways of coping.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000