TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Advice on dealing with nagging pain?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gioux Posted - 11/03/2005 : 16:32:28
Hi all - I have been dealing pretty well with TMS pain for a few years now. I am generally doing well getting back to high levels of athletic activity after some debilitating knee and shoulder pain. But for the past couple of weeks, I have been having minor to more intense lower back/buttock tightness and pain. I absolutely know it is TMS/tension-induced. I don't even question that. But it still persists, and it's starting to really get me down, which I know is exactly what it wants to do. To this point, I have not let the pain stop me from doing what I want - including bike rides, swimming, other everyday things, but this thing is strong I guess. Any advice on how to knock this pain out?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wrldtrv Posted - 11/14/2005 : 12:33:03
"Worse on the weekends..." Isn't that the truth! Both physically and mentally. I agree, it must have everything to do with the scarcity of distractions because weekends are usually worse for me too.
gioux Posted - 11/14/2005 : 10:11:53
Hi folks - thanks again for the really good advice. I am still dealing with on and off bouts of the back pain, from minor to major. I spent last week going on with my life - two swim workouts and two good bike rides - and the back hurt some but I was showing it who was boss (while learning from it and taking the pain as a cue to "go inside."). Howeverm we headed out of town this weekend, and the back was pretty bad.

Do you ever notice that things are worse on the weekend when other distractions are not as present, esp. on vacation like I was this weekend? I had a lot of work stress and other issues last week, but while I am "dealing" with them the pain is not so bad or is not there. It is when I come into the weekend that it gets bad - when I was not distracted (except by the pain of course). I got through the weekend obviously - I wrote in my journal, I tried to meditate on what was going on and I think that helped.

Anyway, still working on this thing, and learning from it, but the pain sucks as you all know so well. And Peter, there is no possible way I am giving up - I've been at this for a long time, a lot of it successfully - these "relapses" as you could call them are really a reminder to stay present, as I am learning. I am using this to take things to the next level - again, easier said than done, but an amazing learning experience. Thanks again for the comments and advice all!
n/a Posted - 11/08/2005 : 08:13:54
Stryder's advice of not placing yourself on some sort of time table is very important. Most of us on this forum have been told or read we would expect to recover or make significant progress in 4-6 weeks. This may be true for some, but not for all, so please do not get discouraged as this will be an opportunity for your brain to introduce doubts about the TMS diagnosis. I personally have been at this for close to 9 months with only minimal improvement (although my wife thinks I have improved a lot) yet I refuse to give up, and I hope you don't either. The diagnosis is sound, the treatment is the right one and victory is just around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!
gioux Posted - 11/07/2005 : 23:05:13
Thanks Stryder - good advice for sure and I will try and follow it - I will follow it. I'll keep y'all posted on my adventures in pain - I really like how Monte says to "thank the pain" for queing me in to something I need to focus on. I think it is making me a better person...I could do without the pain but I can also do with becoming a better person so I guess I'll do my best to learn from the pain - but NOT let it stop me from doing what I want to do. Easy talk - now action... Thanks again....gioux
Stryder Posted - 11/07/2005 : 16:01:52
Hi Gioux,

Try this: Don't fight the pain.

Accept the pain: Accept it.

Just let it hurt: Ignore it.

Continue: With normal activities.

Otherwise, it will make you angry: When your perfectionist personality hides your anger through repression, then that just makes more pain.

Don't put yourself on some sort of time table: For example, "I need to be heathly by January 1, 2006."

Don't replay the movie: Over and over agin in your mind about "What is causing this pain and why can't I be 'normal' again."

Take care, -Stryder
n/a Posted - 11/06/2005 : 14:57:52
Keep journaling and sharing your feelings with us as I think peer support is important. Read Monte's psychology sections over and over again as he has some very important insights.
gioux Posted - 11/06/2005 : 13:46:30
Peter, Michele - thanks a lot for your comments/advice. This is indeed a tough one for me. I have been doing so well and it's like the back pain is strengthening because I have been doing so well...making a last ditch effort to beat me down and make me focus on it instead of the emotions behind it. Thus far I have not been able to lick it. I am working on it. It's hard. Being a perfectionist, I want to get it dealt with and I get frustrated. Exactly what I should not do.

I rode my bike yesterday, which I equate in a way to sawing ones own leg off - it hurt a lot but I won't let this thing beat me. Monte Heuftle's advice seems the best to me - thank the pain, use it as a reminder to be present and focus on what is happening in your life. That's what I am trying to do...turns out it's not that easy. Thanks again for your words....gioux.
n/a Posted - 11/04/2005 : 12:56:19
What things are going on in your life right now? How are you re-acting to these things.

I know how hard it is not to think about pain when it is intense, but you and your brain are in a competition. You are trying to become aware of those inner emotions/ tension etc which are they source of your pain, but the brain, in order to protect you from the emotional pain and possible embarassment, is creating pain to distract you and keeps telling you that your pain is physical. It is due to overuse or an abnormality. It is a battle of wills and you must, as I must, be persistent.

Your pain is my pain Gioux because everytime I read about your suffering and struggles I am reading about my own.....
molomaf Posted - 11/04/2005 : 06:39:42
As hard as this sounds, just ignore it. If it doesn't get your attention, it will just go away. Talk to it first and acknowledge that it is TMS and then forget it. I had plantar fasciatis and knew it was TMS. I ignored it which wasn't easy and eventually it went away and didn't come back.
Michele

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000