TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Exercising, chronic pain and TMS?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
infinitysymbol Posted - 10/28/2005 : 06:00:02
Hi, I was wondering what people think about exercise and TMS. I have had chronic pain in my shoulder, shoulder joint, neck, right arm and wrist for approx 3 years now (on and off). I was told by others (before I discovered TMS theory) that exercising (I have a rowing machine) would aggravate the pain and make the dysfunction worse. However, I have found that, so far, however aggressively I exercise, the pain does not get worse and my shoulder actually feels slightly better. Could I be 'activating' blood flow and hence, oxygen supply to the muscles of these areas through physical activity as well as acknowledging the underlying psychological principles of TMS? I would be interested to hear others experience of exercising with chronic pain. Thank you!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Singer_Artist Posted - 06/22/2006 : 14:24:49
I have the same issues with neck, arm, etc. that you have infinitysymbol...I am in a major flair up now for one month..Have not been able to leave the house, drive and do basic things..I miss the gym so much and was thinking of having a friend take me this Sat. to do just the lower body and maybe stationary bike..But i am scared...I still cannot move my neck much at all...and i still have some pain and twitching going on...Do you think it's too soon? And...how are you doing now? Did you have lack of mobility in your neck too for those 3 years...I can barely look left and right and cannot look up at all...
electraglideman Posted - 10/28/2005 : 20:09:49
When ever my pain caused by TMS flairs up, neck and lower back, I go to the gym and work out as hard and as long as I can. The parts of my body that has pain caused by TMS gets worked so hard that I'm unable to exersise any longer.

Don't be afraid your going to hurt yourself. Thats the key.

It works for me.
Michele Posted - 10/28/2005 : 15:32:39
I believe Dr. Sarno says that it is imperative that you return to exercise, the more vigorous the better, in order to get over the fear of getting hurt by the exercise you were doing. Sounds like you both are doing just that! Good luck!
Becca Posted - 10/28/2005 : 06:32:50
Hi
I have had chronic pain in my neck and upperback for about 10 months. I share your experience with exercise. It always makes my pain much less while I am doing it as well as for a number of hours afterwards. The pain usually returns in some intensity, but exercise has not ever made it worse. I think that it helsp psychologically to be active again. I am back to running or swimming almost daily. I even lift weights occasionally. Though I still have the pain, it is nice to be able to do activities that I like.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000