TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Running and TMS

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nora Posted - 06/24/2005 : 17:46:28
I have been an avid runner until my lower back pain began about 6 months ago. I now recognize it as TMS, but as I improve and attempt to get back into running, I develop new sites of pain. Can anyone give me advice on how to proceed.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Laura Posted - 06/25/2005 : 20:30:58
Nora,

I haven't exercised in weeks (too busy planning my daughter's bat mitzvah, and then I got sick afterward and haven't felt like it). When I was working out, I would either run on the treadmill or run/walk with my yellow lab. I used to suffer from back pain that was made worse when running/walking but that was later replaced with dizziness. So, I would begin my walk and get around the corner (always the same spot, around the corner from my house) and the dizziness would wash over me. At first I would get upset by it, but then it became so predictable it was funny already. Now, I can go five miles without any of that happening, unless I THINK about it happening. If I start thinking about it, I get it, and that reinforces to me even further that it's TMS. Lately, I've had the stomach flu and a cough, so they are occupying my brain more than anything else.

Just get out there and run and try to keep yourself distracted with positive thoughts. I find it helpful to have someone with me to talk to, but you may like running solo. Sometimes I'll bring my Walkman and listen to books on tape or music. Whatever it takes, I have to keep my brain distracted.

Good luck! Running is the best!!

Laura
art Posted - 06/24/2005 : 22:07:19
Hi Nora,

Waiting for the pain to subside would be premised on the idea that it's caused by a legitimate, structural injury..TMS pain is benign. It cannot harm you.

We all have to make our own determinations as to whether we have TMS..You say you had back pain and decided it was TMS...it would be totally normal for your pain to migrate and morph into a bunch of other things...That's what TMS does..

Have you seen a TMS doctor? That can be very helpful if you've got doubts..

altherunner Posted - 06/24/2005 : 21:07:00
I also had a full card of running "injuries", until I realized it was tms. When I was in recovery mode, I just tried either not to think about what I was feeling, or to distract myself with other thoughts, or listen to music. Sometimes, I would run for several miles without pain, and then think about it and get pain. Now, I don't get any running aches or pains, but I feel like i could bring them on, if I wanted to. I still run 3 or 4 times a week. Good ruunning to you!
nora Posted - 06/24/2005 : 20:38:14
Art,Thanks for the encouragement. Would you recomend running through the new pain or taking a few days off until the pain subsides or is this just what TMS wants you to do ie. give into the pain
quote:
Originally posted by art

Nora,

Boy can I relate...I've a whole laundry list of running and various athletics related TMS aches, pains, and twinges...

My advice on how to proceed is just that....proceed. Remind yourself that your body is strong and easily able to handle a few miles of running, or a lot of miles running, assuming of course a reasonable training schedule

Running is terribly important to me, which is precisely why I get lots of TMS related stuff...it sets up a nasty vicious cycle of pain and worry and fear...

I can tell you this though, I've run through every single "injury" since learning about TMS and have yet to regret it...

art Posted - 06/24/2005 : 20:20:12
Nora,

Boy can I relate...I've a whole laundry list of running and various athletics related TMS aches, pains, and twinges...

My advice on how to proceed is just that....proceed. Remind yourself that your body is strong and easily able to handle a few miles of running, or a lot of miles running, assuming of course a reasonable training schedule

Running is terribly important to me, which is precisely why I get lots of TMS related stuff...it sets up a nasty vicious cycle of pain and worry and fear...

I can tell you this though, I've run through every single "injury" since learning about TMS and have yet to regret it...

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000