TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Wandering Pain

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nora Posted - 06/23/2005 : 21:51:38
My lower back pain has seemed to resolve itself within 2 weeks of reading and implementing Dr. Sarno's techniques. While my lower back pain was subsiding, pain appeared in my neck, and as of today in my mid back. I have become anxious, and am wondering if there is a structural reason for this shift in pain. My initial X-rays indicated that I had a slight scoliosis of my spine, but nothing else. Lab work was also normal. Should I stay the course or visit my physician to check out these new symptoms ?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Baseball65 Posted - 06/25/2005 : 13:27:48
Hi Nora.

I've been doing this for quite a while,and you should be happy that you have a new symptom....that's how I feel when I've been doing the work and something I suspect of being psychogenic in origin goes away and a new something takes its place.

Example...Been Nauseous and dizzy for a couple of days and all of a sudden I notice a pattern...I'm fine after drinking 19 diet cokes and eating Nachos at work,but the second I eat anything spicy at home I get nausea.....Hmmmmm

so...I start to focus on my anger(not conscious) that I might be repressing...e.g. ?? Why do I have to play babysitter after working 12 hours??? Why does my wife get to go out whenever she wants??? Why do I have to be a good Father and participate in sports and crap with my sons????

Than the Nausea goes away.....and my KNEE starts to ache.CONFIRMATION...I was definitely suffering a psychosomatic symptom.

In the past ten months since reading Louise Hay's book "You can heal yourself" I have suffered from the beginnings of a dozen 'ailments'...as per usual.

I assumed the presumption that ALL ailments are psychogenic....sort of backward from the usual thinking,and only 2 of them turned out to be real(a bad chest bacterial thing,and heat exhaustion)....

I moved to a colder climate,yet had not a single cold or flu all winter,not a single pain episode(more than a couple of hours) and not a single headache.......not bad for run-to-the-doctor-for-anylittlesniffle kind of guy.

Rejoice...you're winning!

peace

Baseball65
Dave Posted - 06/25/2005 : 11:14:14
quote:
Originally posted by nora

Any suggestions on exercise with the emergence of this new pain? I used to be a runner, but am reluctant to run again. Any ideas?

If you can, laugh at the pain. It is such an obvious trick by your brain.

Do whatever physical activity you feel comfortable with. It's not easy, especially if you're new to TMS, because the feeling that you will "hurt yourself" is difficult to shake. So go slowly, don't push yourself. Your brain will sieze whatever opportunity it can to make you think you have a real injury. Just float through the pain, it should only last a couple of days. And when pain pops up in yet another new location, laugh it away.
nora Posted - 06/24/2005 : 16:50:46
quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Thanks for the encouragement. You sound very knowledgeable. Any suggestions on exercise with the emergence of this new pain? I used to be a runner, but am reluctant to run again. Any ideas?
Stay the course. Consider it a good sign. We call it "TMS on the run." Your brain is worried that you are on to its tricks so it is changing its strategy to try to keep you focused on the physical. Don't let it succeed.

nora Posted - 06/24/2005 : 16:40:08
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

quote:

I have become anxious, and am wondering if there is a structural reason for this shift in pain. My initial X-rays indicated that I had a slight scoliosis of my spine, but nothing else. Lab work was also normal. Should I stay the course or visit my physician to check out these new symptoms ?

Stay the course. Consider it a good sign. We call it "TMS on the run." Your brain is worried that you are on to its tricks so it is changing its strategy to try to keep you focused on the physical. Don't let it succeed.

Dave Posted - 06/24/2005 : 07:54:28
quote:

I have become anxious, and am wondering if there is a structural reason for this shift in pain. My initial X-rays indicated that I had a slight scoliosis of my spine, but nothing else. Lab work was also normal. Should I stay the course or visit my physician to check out these new symptoms ?

Scottydog Posted - 06/24/2005 : 00:20:33
Nora,

I have a scoliosis and had pain for 30 years in my upper back (where the twist in my spine was very clearly shown on an xray) - until I read Sarno and the pain went over night. My TMS pain now is a stabbing pain in my right knee (my mother had her right knee replaced due to arthritis) - so I'm sure that that is TMS too - the brain putting the pain where you would expect it to be. So I would suspect your new pains are TMS too.

Anne

Scottydog
nora Posted - 06/23/2005 : 22:24:42
quote:
Originally posted by aorta

Nora,
I am not qualified to answer based on the fact that i just starting with tms principles, however i think i can give you the official answer pretty well.
You cannot implement the tms protocol and look for physical causes at the same time. You have had preliminary tests, slight scoliosis would cause no pain, the pains are all an illusion, and the shifting of pains is your brains clever trickery and common to tms. To procede with tms elimination, you must ignore all the symptoms and keep thinking psychological.
I am sorry for your anxiety and pain.

aorta Posted - 06/23/2005 : 22:22:49
Nora,
I am not qualified to answer based on the fact that i just starting with tms principles, however i think i can give you the official answer pretty well.
You cannot implement the tms protocol and look for physical causes at the same time. You have had preliminary tests, slight scoliosis would cause no pain, the pains are all an illusion, and the shifting of pains is your brains clever trickery and common to tms. To procede with tms elimination, you must ignore all the symptoms and keep thinking psychological.
I am sorry for your anxiety and pain.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000