TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 RSI Back with a vengence

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alan Posted - 06/09/2005 : 03:49:06
Hi All,

I am having a bad relapse at the moment, still been working through TMS for a year now, but I am up and down like a yo-yo. Anyone have any techniques for eliminating the creeping and lurking questions like:

"What if I am wrong!?" and "Should I take it easy on my hands?" and "Maybe it isnt TMS?"

I know it is psychological, and stress induced. I have many other equivalents which crop up from time to time. My damn brain won't give me a break, and I can't seem to get to the source of my issues.

I find it difficult to distract my mind when I use a PC all day and I am in pain.

Thanks
Alan.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Baseball65 Posted - 06/11/2005 : 09:05:44
quote:
"What if I am wrong!?" and "Should I take it easy on my hands?" and "Maybe it isnt TMS?"

Hi Alan

In one of the early chapters of HBP,Sarno says that if you DON'T have these Idea's.than you wouldn't have the type of personality that would generate TMS....a sort of Catch 22.

TMS is caused by suppressed rage.People with suppressed rage generate anxiety.People with anxiety tend not to be able to singularize a thought.They are full of all sorts of conflicts.

I have been "cured" for years,and yet still have denial type concerns about "new" ailments that ALWAYS turn out to be TMS.

-peace.

Baseball65
superg Posted - 06/10/2005 : 15:10:35
I just wanted to chime in that I'm in the same boat as you guys. i have been battling rsi for a long time, and finding dr. sarno's book has been a revelation. getting rid of the fear, doubt, and "de-conditioning" myself have been the biggest hurdles for me. reading this forum has been a great resource for me!
JoeW Posted - 06/09/2005 : 17:13:24
The hard part is to condition yourself never to doubt the TMS diagnosis whenever the pain comes back. Also, try not to get frustrated if there is no obvious "answer" as to why the pain has come back - you may never find it, but if you continue to look, psychologically and not physically, then things will improve.

Good luck!
alan Posted - 06/09/2005 : 10:43:09
Thanks Alan I will have to read it again and try again. Just so damn frustrating and painful, for something that is routed in my mind.
alanc Posted - 06/09/2005 : 06:38:43
Go back and read the book again and again. And, talk to your brain, damn, argue and get mad at your brain.
alan Posted - 06/09/2005 : 04:58:27
Hi Barry,

I will send you my email as I think it would be useful, as it sounds like similar issues.

I am convinced it is mainly psychogenic. Stress seems to be a major trigger, and work. I am looking into changing my job although I am worried about the amount of computer use required, as I am working as a database administrator... here comes that fear again.

Sometimes it just seems to happen for no apparent reason, and my hands/wrists/arms will ache/burn, then it may be pretty good the next day then bad the next, very bizarre.

Dr. Sarno has helped a great deal but I cannot get rid of the fear when the pain kicks in.

I agree though, I am far, far better now, physically and mentally since I have been working at TMS.

I just wish to be back to my miserable old self, and able to support my wife and daughter more actively.

Thanks
Alan.
Bazz Posted - 06/09/2005 : 04:41:39
Hi Alan,

I really recognize your issue. I do also have RSI in my hands and have also worked with TMS-theory for a year now and still it's a real yoyo-effect for me as well. Although it's going (much) better then at the worsest period of my RSI (when I didn't know about the TMS-theory) it's still a really variable condition. I have done many TMS-homework, like reading, summerizing and listening to all kind of materials. Also I have done a lot of personal analysis. But still my hands are in pain from time to time. After that the fear comes back and it feels like I am again in the vicious circle.

Especially for the pain in my hands I find it very difficult to explore why the pain becomes worse at that very moment. I have allready discovered that monotonous work and social and speaking fear are important factors of the pain. But often I can't find a reason when I have pain, what's making me very frustrating sometimes. Often I ask myself do I miss something? Like, something crucial as the child in me don't wants to work again or I hate working at the computer or something like that.

I think an important thing for you to do is to think about your (average) daily energybalance. When you think of a normal workingday, what things of your work do you like and dislike. How is the balance? I did make this balance also a couple of weeks ago and that made me decide to find another job. (I will start that job next monday)

Because we seem to have a very similar problem, we could have some email contact about our findings, questions if you like? I'd would be really happy to speak someone who is on the same track.

Regards,

Barry

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000