TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Hypochondriac?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
amymae Posted - 06/08/2005 : 18:26:56

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well. I was wondering how much my fellow TMS sufferers tell other people about their health problems.

I don't feel like I'm a big complainer, but I get the feeling that people around me are starting to think I'm a hypochondriac and it really pisses me off.

In the last year I've had my back problem, ringing in the ears, I was seeing little flashes of light (much like that other post) and some stomach problems. I feel like when I speak of my health problems it is more in teh way of an explanation rather than a complaint. Such as "no, I can't go b/c my stomach is acting up." I do, ofcourse, complain about it to some extent, but I don't think I'm going overboard. The fact that people who are close to me feel that my health problems is a burden is starting to get to me. I feel like I'm always there for people, to listen to all their problems, whenever they need it. Is it possible I'm not aware of how much I talk about this. Has anyone else gotten the feeling that people are sick of them talking about their health problems???

I'm getting long-winded (maybe my friends are right). I basically just want to know if anyone else has experienced problems w/ somewhat unsympathetic friends and family.

Thanks everyone and take care!!!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
amymae Posted - 06/09/2005 : 18:30:09
Hi everyone-

thanks to everyone, you've given some great advice.

I have given up on explaining tms- I don't think I made a very good spokesperson for Dr. Sarno.

I hadn't thought about how just speaking of it would contribute to the problem. I figured if i thought about the pain in the context of tms it would be okay- actually productive. But, I see what you're talking about and decided i will keep my mouth shut from now on.

Good luck to everyone.
Stryder Posted - 06/09/2005 : 11:19:00
I don't go around telling people I have "TMS". Since the concept is not mainstream, no one has ever heard of it. In casual conversations, I'll simply describe it as "stress related muscle pain" and leave it at that.

I also used to get lot of "how is you back?" questions, which would of course then remind me about it even when I had succeeded in putting my back pain out of my mind. Now that I am 95% pain free, I'm getting fewer questions, and people no longer remind me to "watch out for your bad back" when I go to do some physical project.

But like the other replies below have said, you have to ignore your pain and get out there and do things as normal, that is the quickest way to success.

Take care, -Stryder
Dave Posted - 06/09/2005 : 08:14:12
Don't take this the wrong way but ... maybe they're right!

Treating TMS starts with ignoring the symptoms. If you're talking about them with others, using them as an excuse not to do things, or looking for sympathy because of them, then you are giving those symptoms life. That is one way to guarantee that they will continue.

You need to train yourself to ignore the symptoms, and not allow them to limit your activities. Other people who do not understand or believe in TMS can only undermine your own belief when you share your malaise with them.

I have reached the point where it is actually annoying when other people bring up my symptoms. They ask how's your back? and I say fine and just move on. Or, if I go to lift something heavy they say watch your back! and it pisses me off. I know there's nothing physically wrong with my back and I have communicated this to them on several occasions but they don't get it. Sometimes the only way to fight TMS is to take your lumps and go it alone.
almost there Posted - 06/08/2005 : 18:42:03
Amymae-
Just for starters....do not excuse yourself from anything you would do if you were not in pain.....this is basic "Sarno TMS"! Go back and read "the book"....remember "laugh at the pain"....talk to your brain...tell it you are not giving in to the "distraction"....it will not win! When you stay home and tell your friends you are not able to participate...it has won! Bite the bullet....say nothing to anyone....remember you can not harm yourself....this is not structural...think psychological....you will be surprised with the result!

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000