TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Mitral Valve prolapse as TMS?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Carolyn Posted - 06/06/2005 : 17:26:20
Has anyone out there had heart syptoms as part of this disorder? I have kicked most of my other equivalents- and my body keeps throwing new ones at me. The pattern is always the same- some new strange symptom arises- I get on the internet and find a bunch of web sites describing my symptoms and I start to buy into it that there is something wrong with me and then I start to wonder if this new syndrome is in fact responsible for all the varied symptoms I have had in the past. Then once I continue to search I inevitably come back to the realization that other TMS symptoms seem to be part of the package. The lightbulb goes off and I realize I have once again been sucked in by TMS. Usually shortly after this realization, the symptoms subside.

Today I just had that happen again with my newest set of symptoms which are heart related. I am relatively young (late 30s) but I started having really disturbing thumps in my chest- tried to ignore it for a while but finally went into the doctor and wore the Holter monitor for a day which confirmed that I am having PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) which cause your heart to get temporarily out of rythm. They are benign and the cause is unknown. The doctor also suspects a mitral valve prolapse (MVP)- again a benign condition- and I am going in for an echocardiogram tomorrow to confirm this. So today I have been searching the internet for MVP and PVCs and I am coming up with all sorts of sites linking these to stess, anxiety and chronic fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, even irritable bowel syndrome and TMJ. Wow- giant lightbulb moment. Has anyone else had these symptoms and come to the conclussion they are TMS? I will be interested to see if I can eliminated these in the same way I have eliminated other symptoms.

I think I am starting to become a TMS fanatic. I may soon believe that just about any infimity short of a broken bone has at least some psychological component. If this is true, it makes me feel very powerful to be able to take charge of my own health and not just be a victim. My own experiences at leat have really made me realize just how much control I do have for healing. Meanwhile, I will of course keep my appointment with the heart doc tomorrow since it is better to be safe than sorry where your heart is concerned.

Carolyn
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Allan Posted - 06/10/2005 : 11:20:15
Carolyn.

TMS moves around. When it does, it is a very good sign that you are making progress. Just think about for a minute. If the pain in area A moves to area B, then, logically, the pain in area A had to be TMS because if it were structural, it would still be there.

Now, you really know that you are well on the road to recovery when the pain moves from area B to area C.

Allan.
Carolyn Posted - 06/09/2005 : 13:38:02
OK so I am convinced my palpitations are TMS. In fact as soon as I read the post here with other people telling me they had experienced the same thing, my low back and wrist started to ache. My doctor called with the results of my echocardiogram and said that I do have Mitral Valve Prolapse with 'significant' regurgitation. He told me it is not something to worry about but that mine is severe enough to warrant taking prophylactic antibiotics whenever I have dental work done. So my question is, if I do 'the work' and journal etc, will this go away? Has anyone been at the point that I am and has now been told that they can skip the antibiotics? Do I only need the antibiotics if I am actively symptomatic as I am now?

And as a final thought, you can't get too cocky with TMS. I keep thinking that I have 'cured' myself and I ease up on thinking psychological and journaling and it always throws something else at me. I think I've had just about every symptom there is now- excpet a rash, I guess that will be next, but I have managed to beat them all back into submission.

Carolyn
Allan Posted - 06/07/2005 : 07:25:08
Everyone involved with TMS should get Dr. Sarno's first book, Mind Over Back Pain written in 1982.

He describes his own problems with TMS, including MVP, which he clearly calls a TMS equivalent.

When I went in the Army at age 21, I discovered that I had MVP. There is a backlash of blood when a heart valve doesn't close completely. I had it in every physical from there on until I was 70.

The MVP went away five years ago when my back pain went away. No doubt that it was TMS, emotionally induced, and harmless.

Allan.

molomaf Posted - 06/07/2005 : 05:41:10
I have mitro valve prolapse and so does a good part of the population. It is very common. All the women in my family have it and all to different degrees. The echo will tell you if you do have it and if there is anything you will need to do for it. Depending on the severity, you many need to take antibiotics before a dental appt or surgery. I did for many years until the protocol changed and I was told mine was very mild. You can get chest pains but but it a basically benign condition. Dr. Sarno says MVP is TMS.
Michele
Dave Posted - 06/06/2005 : 20:32:56
There is another active thread now on the same topic.

Heart arrhythmia can definitely be TMS. I have it.

Assuming the echo comes back clean, you can safely ignore the palpatations. It is difficult but you can do it. When you are aware of the arrhythmia remind yourself that you had a full checkup and the condition is benign.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000