TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 John Kabat Zinn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
celestica Posted - 06/03/2005 : 05:39:26

Hi everybody,

has anyone attended a mindfulness based stress reduction programme based on "full catastrophe living"? Or maybe used the book? What was your experience, both good and bad?

Also, thanks to everybody for the advice related to my pregnancy issues. Things are going much better now and I'm more able to focus on what is positive right now in my life.

A lot of my recent crisis was related to a major bout of regression and the assertion of childhood fears. The more insight I get into regression the more I understand that I need to peel back the layers of current anxiety / fear / anger to get at how I felt that way as a kid. It can be interesting detective work.

Anyways,

have a great day everybody!

Amelia
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
miehnesor Posted - 06/03/2005 : 14:30:34
quote:
Originally posted by celestica

A lot of my recent crisis was related to a major bout of regression and the assertion of childhood fears. The more insight I get into regression the more I understand that I need to peel back the layers of current anxiety / fear / anger to get at how I felt that way as a kid. It can be interesting detective work.
Amelia

Great work!
n/a Posted - 06/03/2005 : 11:49:35
I bought 'Full Catastrophe Living' last year and found it helpful. I also bought the CDs - one is guided meditation and the other is guided yoga.

I used the meditation CD for a few months - it was extremely relaxing to just go along with the sound of Kabat-Zinn's voice.

However, it is a complicated form of meditation and once my TMS became less of a problem and my anxiety faded along with that, I stopped using it. When I feel the need of a little meditation now, I just use a very simple one I got from Rick Carson's 'Gremlin Taming'

I think what I liked most about Full Catastrophe Living was the help it gave me to live mindfully - in the present. My psychotherapist recommended it to me when I told her that I lived constantly worrying about 'What ifs' and I fretted over the past all the time.

I'd say it was part of my recovery reading (widespread reading on anxiety conditions was invaluable for me).

If I had to put in order of helpfulness - I'd put it at number three probably; after Claire Weekes 'Hope and Help for Your Nerves' and Rick Carson's 'Taming Your Gremlin', which would be first equal.

You might like John Bradshaw's 'Home Coming' as well. There is a lot of interesting and thought provoking stuff in that book. He helps you get in touch with your inner child.

It's good to hear that you are feeling better, Amelia.

Best wishes

Anne

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000